Monday 25 June 2012

The Three Cripples Pub

The One Tun pub is a pub that embodies the character of and may have been the original Three Cripples pub, headquarters of where Bill Sikes and his gang would go. Walking to this pub was really neat because it was seriously creepy back there. I walked down Farringdon Road and followed my map until I couldn't figure out where to go. From there, I asked a man where the One Tun pub was and he pointed down a small alley. It was a very sketchy road and I was scared to walk down it. I really felt like I was one of the characters walking down the street about to meet up with Bill Sykes to plan a pick pocketing attack. There are a few businesses back there, but mainly the street is pretty vacant besides the people that are at the One Tun. Charles Dickens was a patron of the One Tun pub between 1833 and 1838 when the pub had already been in existence for over half a century.

The One Tun pub, site where Dicken's based the Three Cripples pub.

The One Tun pub is on Saffron Hill. This street is right off of Farringdon Road, but it still is very empty and sketchy until you get to the pub. Because it's kind of off to the side and somewhat abandoned, I can see why Dickens would base the Three Cripples pub off of this spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment